10.25.2006

If Momma Ain't Happy...

Children get sick. It's a fact of life. Inevitably, if you have multiple children, the law of motherhood says that they cannot all be sick at the same time. They feel it their childhood duty to be sick consecutively, so it seems that Dr. Mom is continuously taking care of someone. Then, of course, Dad has to put in his two cents and get sick too.

But what happens when Mom gets sick?

The little family world goes you-know-where in a handbasket.

Yep. I'm sick.

I have been laid flat by that great equalizer, strep throat.

The good news is that I have so much penicillin coursing through my body that I'll be untouchable for the next 10 days.

The bad news is that I not only had to take two unexpected days off of work, but my dear husband had to step in with soccer mom duties. Not that he doesn't enjoy watching son #1 play soccer, but, honestly, it's just not the same.

It was cold here on soccer night. The game was at 5:30 pm and the temps hovered around 45 degrees, with a slight damp breeze. When they got back at 7, he was complaining about how cold and dark it was. Now, on his behalf, this was a makeup game. Typically, games take place on Saturday mornings. Temps have been chilly, but are usually rising instead of falling. Also, with the fall time change scheduled to take place this weekend, it's getting dark earlier.

Still.

As a kid, I played soccer, was in marching band, was a cheerleader. Kids practice/play in cold weather. Sometimes even in dim light. It was just what we did. The parents brought coffee. Lots of coffee. Blankets, scarves. Whatever it took.

My husband wants to bring a propane heater.

I can only imagine if all of the soccer moms got sick at the same time. The dads would coordinate small "heating centers" right here in suburbia soccer central.

Fortunately, there's only one game left in the fall season. Maybe he'll forget about the propane heater until next year...

Cheers!

No comments: