We're doing a bit of traveling this holiday season, visiting my brother in Texas. No one is a native, but my brother and his wife were determined to move somewhere warm, and it was a toss-up between Phoenix and Texas. Because they wanted to be able to venture outdoors on a July afternoon without imminent threat of sunstroke, Texas won. Nana and Papa are enjoying their retirement by spending a few months down here.
We're having a wonderful time, now that we're off the airplane.
I won't bore you with great details, but I'll just share a few facts about our travel. Our travel experience to Dallas will be painfully clear.
1. On my preferred airline, during my choice of travel/dates times, it was not possible to fly non-stop from the Windy City to Dallas.
2. I traveled with Sweet Son #1 and The Manimal, but sans husband (i.e. another adult to balance the child:adult ratio).
3. Being just shy of two years old, The Manimal was a lapsit. He thought it would be fun to "hide" under the seat in front of me.
4. The second leg of our flight was COMPLETELY FULL. As in EVERY SINGLE SEAT. See #3.
5. Due to #3, I was unable to partake in the "beverage of my choice". I had Diet Coke and peanuts, which under normal circumstances would satisfy my beverage/snack need quite well. Due to #3 and #4, this simply didn't work.
Despite my being quite sure that the trip from Kansas City would be the death of me, we made it safely and in a fairly sane state.
I'll let you know how the return trip goes.