5.31.2010

In Flanders Fields...

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." --John F. Kennedy

Each Memorial Day weekend, for more than ten years, we've traveled to Northern Wisconsin to visit my Gram. Each year, the time we spend with her is more and more precious. While we're up there, we try to go to the cemetery to visit the graves of my Grandpa (Papa) and Uncle, as well as other family members. It's always a sobering sight, because, being Memorial Day Weekend the local Boy and Girl Scouts typically place flags at the graves of all who have served their country.

Someone once asked if I would be upset if one of my boys wants to join the military when they are of age. Certainly, my mother's heart would be terrified. But upset? No. I would be proud if they choose to serve their country in such an honorable way.

I'm very open about growing up in a military family. While we are especially blessed that my father never had to serve in a combat zone, I nonetheless am extremely proud that my parents raised me to respect military men and women. I'm proud to be an American, proud of our military and our soldiers who serve, and deeply humbled that so many have given their lives to defend our way of life.

And so today, the Diva Family honors and thanks our fallen heroes. Rest in peace, loyal soldiers.

"Memorial Day"

The bugle echoes shrill and sweet,
But not of war it sings to-day.
The road is rhythmic with the feet
Of men-at-arms who come to pray.

The roses blossom white and red
On tombs where weary soldiers lie;
Flags wave above the honored dead
And martial music cleaves the sky.

Above their wreath-strewn graves we kneel,
They kept the faith and fought the fight.
Through flying lead and crimson steel
They plunged for Freedom and the Right.

May we, their grateful children, learn
Their strength, who lie beneath this sod,
Who went through fire and death to earn
At last the accolade of God.

In shining rank on rank arrayed
They march, the legions of the Lord;
He is their Captain unafraid,
The Prince of Peace...Who brought a sword.

--Joyce Kilmer




No comments: