9.19.2008

Training the Potty

Well, it was bound to happen sometime, what with the pesky habit children have of growing up.

Yes, we've entered the potty training stage with The Manimal.

He's doing surprisingly well, going on the potty both in the morning and at night before bed. We haven't ventured to pull ups or training pants yet, but we're working on it, and he won't be three until January.

Unfortunately, he fails to see the need to "go pee-pee on the potty" at the sitter's house. We've tried bribery, we've tried threats, but he simply refuses. One conversation ended up with him sharing his logic thusly:

Me: "Manimal, why won't you go potty at Miss G's house?"
Manimal: "I NO go potty dere."
Me: "But why? You'll get 5 M & M's" (our bribe for peeing in the potty)
Manimal: "She no have M & M's"
Me: "Yes, she does. I gave them to her."
Manimal: "I no go potty dere. I no need to. I go potty dis morning at my potty."

Clearly he thinks that once or twice in the toilet is sufficient, and in the diaper the rest of the time is wonderful.

Yesterday, however, our conversation went a bit differently. He actually SAT on the potty at Miss G's house.

Me: "Did you go potty at Miss G's today?"
Manimal: "I sit on da potty, Mommy!"
Me: "Good job, buddy. But did you make pee-pee in the potty?"
Manimal: "No. It was stuck."
Me: "The potty was stuck?"
Manimal: "No. Da pee. Was stuck in my penis. It no come out."

Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way little kids talk. So, much more interesting than "adult" talk!

Sounds like the potty training is going well. I remember that that and them learning to drive were the two toughest hurdles to raising kids!