6.30.2009

File this under: "I'm really glad there are only two of them"

Children are never dull. In defense of that statement, I offer the following:

On Sunday evening, after a deafening burst of quiet emanated from our upstairs bathroom, Diva Husband found The Manimal STANDING on the bathroom counter unscrewing the light bulbs.

Shortly thereafter, I went to inspect another rumble of too much quiet and found the same child sitting IN the powder room sink playing in the water trying to "wash" the willow branches that are in a vase on the counter.

Last night, in a fit of motherly frustration, I told him that if he didn't eat his chicken, he wouldn't get a treat. IMMEDIATELY after finishing his chicken, he announced "I ate all my dinner! Now I get a treat!" I got the ice cream out of the freezer and he said "Yay! Ice cream! Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!"

The Manimal loves to play upstairs in his room, and was doing so. We could hear him singing to himself and talking to the trains. This went on for some time, until the doorbell rang. There he stood, clad only in his undershorts and a grin. He'd apparently slipped out the garage door and taken a bike ride up the street. I'm considering installing an invisible fence...


Lest you think The Manimal is the only entertaining one of my two...

Sweet Son #1, after being the main entree on the mosquitos' evening buffet, came in and pitifully asked "Can't we move to a place where there aren't any bugs?"

Logic is clearly not a strong suit among the nearly-nine set. When we were gathering items for our garage sale last weekend, he decided he would pack up and sell some of his beloved Legos.Which was all well and good until he announced he would use the money from the sale of said Legos to, you guessed it, buy more Legos.

A budding man of the world, while getting his hair cut on Sunday, I heard the hairstylist ask SS#1 if he would be practicing any schoolwork this summer (seriously, what kind of question is that?!). I quietly thanked my lucky stars that he didn't just snort in laughter, and then he responded "No, I don't think I'll have enough time, because I'll be travelling a lot this summer."He'll be with the Diva Grandparents and Diva Godparents for most of July, then will indeed take a little car trip down to Tennessee at the end of the month. But "traveling a lot"? I guess it's all in your perspective.




1 comment:

C. Beth said...

Oh, yes...it's when they're QUIET that they are the most dangerous!!