1.15.2010

Give Us This Day...

I love to cook. Baking, however, scares me a bit.

I know the reason. Cooking is somewhat inexact. It's subjective. A teaspoon of salt may be perfectly seasoned to one diner, but may make the soup taste like seawater to another.

Baking, on the other hand, requires fairly precise measurements. Four cups of flour MEANS four cups. And not four coffee cups. Or four "that's about a cup". Four cups. 32 dry ounces. And there is no substitute for cream of tartar. Or cornstarch.

And don't get me started on baking soda vs. baking powder.

I do bake a couple of things fairly well. My Finnish Gram's biscuit, for example. And when I do, I feel very homemakerish and very tied to my heritage.

And my pretzel rolls seem to be coming along nicely.

I love the smell of baking bread, and have made several loaves in my bread maker, and occasionally in the oven. I especially love the crusty European breads and have tried several times with limited success to make them.

One of my regular reads, The Ivory Hut, featured a post on Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day.

Right up my alley!

To quote one of my children's favorite shows...

"I know what we're going to do today!"

Well, tomorrow, anyway! :)

No comments: