2.02.2010

Senator Mickey Mouse?

Today is the Primary Election in our fair state. Even if you're not familiar with much in our fair state, you probably have heard of our former Governor. He's made more than a few media appearances in the last year or so. His wife appeared on the show "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here", when prosecutors banned his own appearance. Recent rumblings have been made that he may show up next on Donald Trump's "Celebrity Apprentice".

Our senators have been making news as well. The current lame duck Senator was appointed by the previously aforementioned Governor. HIS predecessor moved on to a different job.

Confused yet? Don't worry, residents of our fair state are just as confused. Today's election turnout is expected to be low, with perhaps 25% of voters casting their ballots.

Lest you think this is turning into a political post, let me reassure you.

I went to vote this morning and took The Manimal with me. He was unusually quiet, taking everything in. Our precinct location isn't completely new to him, as it's in our neighborhood clubhouse. I guess the "election decor" of voting booths and registration tables really threw him, though.

He wanted to know what we were doing, and I told him that I was going to vote. Then he wanted to know what "vote" meant. I told him it meant choosing something or someone.

He wanted to see what I was doing, so I showed him my ballot and ballpoint pen (we're a pretty low-tech site). Then I let him carry my ballot over to the box, where he (with surprising care) slid it into the reader.

As I was helping him with his gloves, he looked up and said, "Mommy, is this Disney World?"

Hmm...maybe the carnival of Illinois politics isn't beyond the scope of a four year-old after all!

No comments: