10.14.2009

Skin and Bones

A few days ago I wrote about my journey on the low road.

Well, clearly I wasn't the only one on that road. The clearly airbrushed model in the picture, Filippa Hamilton, is actually a 5'10", 120 pound supermodel.

Whose contract with Ralph Lauren was terminated last April. According to Hamilton, Lauren terminated her because she was "too large".

Uhm...

Uhm...

I'm really trying not to use the words that are flying through my head right now. My dad wouldn't approve.

I'm 5'10" tall. According to Weight Watchers, the "healthy" weight range for that height is between 139 and 174 pounds. A normal BMI, according to the National Institutes of Health is 18.5-24.9. A 5'10" woman weighing 120 has a BMI of 17.2, which not only puts her OUT of the "normal" range, but plops her clearly in the "underweight" range.

Now, I'm not a big one for relying on numbers and charts, and frankly, "normal" is just a setting on a washing machine. But if Ralph Lauren feels that Filippa Hamilton is "large" with her 5'10", 120 pound frame, why does he even BOTHER with his Lauren Woman line of clothing for sizes 14-22? I'm sure he'd much rather be designing for those models in the size 0-2 range.

Better yet, why bother with girls like Filippa Hamilton at all. I mean, they could save loads of money and airbrush time if they went with a whole cadre of the perfect supermodels...




No comments: